PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What I Read {March & April}

Hi Friends!

March and April were awesome months for reading.  I've got all kinds of good books to recommend:  

This Dark Road to Mercy, Wiley Cash (4 stars).  This book was hard to put down.  There was lots of suspense, but at its heart, this is a story of forgiveness and family.
 I Forgot to Remember, Su Meck (3 stars)  This book was certainly interesting.  Su Meck was going about her normal day when her kitchen ceiling fan fell on her head and she lost all of her memories.  
 Labor Day, Joyce Maynard (4 stars)  I'm still thinking about this one.  It's a story of love and loneliness and discovering what makes people happy.
 Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys (3 1/2 stars)  I'm still thinking about this book, too.  It's about a family who is taken by the Soviet Secret Police and sent to a concentration camp in Siberia. This is a pretty haunting tale.
  The Last Werewolf, Glen Duncan (3 1/2 stars) Werewolves and vampires are not really my thing, but I loved this book.  It's told from Jake's (the last remaining werewolf) point of view, and it's hard not to like him and his story.
 Swimming Studies, Leanne Shapton (3 1/2 stars).  Wow, this woman can write.  She captured so many of swimming's pluses and minuses.  I adored this book and all of her paintings and sketches.  I also loved all the pictures of her swimsuits.  I do wish she had written a bit more of her experiences at Olympic Trials.
 Blue Nights, Joan Didion (3 1/2 stars).  So much grief written about in such a completely lovely way.  I love Didion's writing style.
 The Visionist, Rachel Urquhart (3 stars)  There is a lot of buzz about this book, but I thought it was just okay.  It was an interesting look into the Shaker world.
 Monkey Mind, Daniel Smith (3 1/2 stars)  Oh my gosh--I totally want to give Daniel Smith a big hug.  Daniel shares the good, the bad, and the ugly of his battle with anxiety.  He's an excellent writer.
 The Museum of Extraordinary Things, Alice Hoffman (4 stars) Weird and wonderful.  A fantastic story filled with all kinds of memorable, extraordinary characters.
 The Invention of Wings, Sue Monk Kidd, (4 stars) Ah!  I loved this big, fat, sweeping story.  Unforgettable characters, unforgettable story.
I Don't Know What You Know Me From, Judy Greer (3 stars).  This is a cute, fun read.  Judy Greer is pretty adorable.

Have you ready anything good lately?  I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Happy Reading!

XO,
Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment