PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Other People's Kids

When I was pregnant with Maddie, I could literally freak myself out worrying about things.  I worried that I wouldn't be as good a mother of two as I was a mother of one.  I worried about juggling two of everything:  diaper changes, nap schedules, baths, bedtime routines.  Most of all, I worried that I could never love another child as much as I loved Emily.  For 17 months, Emily was it.  I funneled all my love into baby Emily.  I worried about how I could split that love into two.
I remember sharing my concerns with John's mom.  She was a mother of two, I knew she would know what I was talking about.  What she told me was this:  you don't have to divide your love, your heart expands to include all of those you love.
She was right, of course.  I had absolutely no problem loving Maddie as much as I loved Emily.  And then when we added Jack to the mix, my heart grew even more.
 When I started coaching, I found that my heart could grow to include loving other people's kids, too.
People often ask me my why I coach.  The hours are inconvenient, and the pay is one step above a volunteer job.
This is what I say every time:  I coach because I love my swimmers.
I coach because each year I get a new batch of other people's kids to teach, mentor, and love.
I coach because it reminds me of how big my heart is.
I am so thankful that other parents share their kids with me.
My life would not be the same without coaching.
Hands down, I have the best job in the world.

XO,

Vicki

1 comment:

  1. awwww i love this! i was not on a swim team but my oldest has been on one for the last two years and it is such a fun sport! loved this post!

    ReplyDelete