PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Making Vanillekipferln

 Hi Friends!

Guess what!  Raffi and I made some *real* Austrian cookies together on Sunday afternoon!  I have no idea how to pronounce them, but they are delicious!  She called her mom for the recipe, and then I went on a hunt for Hazelnuts.  I'm not going to lie--Hazelnuts are not big around here.  : )  I eventually tracked down one tiny bag at Festival.  I picked up that bag and a whole bunch of almonds and hoped that they would be close enough.  Don't you love the recipe Raffi wrote?!?  I love her European handwriting.   After much debate over turning decagrams into cups (which seemed to involve some high-level John math), Raffi worked her magic.
 She did everything with just her hands--there was no mixer involved.  Together, we rolled a whole big bunch of dough and shaped it into crescents.  Then, after more discussion about centigrade into ferinheight, we popped them into the oven.  As soon as the cookies were brown, we took them out of the oven and rolled them in powdered sugar mixed with vanilla sugar.
They turned out perfectly!  I loved the look on her face when tasted them.  She said they tasted just like home.  She was so happy.  It was awesome.

Hooray for giving Raffi a taste of home.  Now, if I could just manage to make her farmer's bread (my first attempt was an epic fail!). 

XO,

Vicki

1 comment: