PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Veteran's Day



What I Know For Sure

I am not brave enough.

I love my country.  I get weepy every single time I hear the National Anthem.  Every. Single. Time. 

I am proud to be an American. 

I believe that America is the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And sometimes, I am brave, especially when I have to be. 

But I am not brave enough.

Of this, I am sure.

Yesterday I went to hear Ryan Conklin speak about his two tours in Iraq.  I sat there listening to Ryan talk about searching for bombs among all the roadside litter, ducking from sniper attacks and loosing friends from his platoon.  I looked at pictures of bombed-out Hummers and the graves of his friends.  I listened to him describe how hard it was to come home and readjust to life after his year in Iraq.

The whole time, the whole time, I was thinking, "I could never do that."  Never.

What I know for sure is this:  Thank God there are people out there who are brave enough to go off and fight for our country.  Thank God there are people who are willing and able to go and fight to keep us safe.  Thank God.

My cousin, Adam, is a Marine and just got deployed to Iraq.  Thank God he is brave and strong.

My friend, Deanna, is in the Army and is serving in Afghanistan.  Thank God she is brave and strong.

My Dad, my Father-in-law, my Uncle Lou, my Uncle Al, and my Uncle Bob all served in the military.  Thank God they served and protected us during their service.

Thank God for all those who gave their lives.

Thank God for all those who are currently serving.

What I know for sure:  America is great because there are those who are willing to serve and protect us.  Thank God.

XO,

Vicki

1 comment:

  1. what a sweet post....my hubs lost a dear friend in Iraq about a year ago...this is a really touching post!

    ReplyDelete