PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Smile and Wave


Hi Friends,

Every morning after I drop off the kiddos and go through the drive through to get my chai latte, I pass by a crossing guard at the corner of Lake & Caroline Street.  Every morning, without fail, that crossing guard smiles and waves at me.  Every morning.  I have no idea who that woman is.  In fact, if I fell on her at the grocery store, I might not even realize it was the same person, but her smile and wave never fails to make me happy.  

She waves when it's bitter outside and all you can see is her eyes and nose peeking out from under all the layers of clothing she's wearing.  She waves when it's raining and the water is dripping off her yellow reflective vest.  She waves when it's sunny and the birds are singing.  She waves when the Packers win (I know she's a fan because she wears a Packers scarf), and she waves when the Packers lose.  Each and every day she waves.

One time I was picking up a friend who lives in the neighborhood around Lake & Caroline Streets.  The crossing guard was standing at her corner.  I said something about how I always got excited when the crossing guard waved at me.  She said, "Oh, she waves at everybody."

I thought about that for a while.  Here's a woman who is known for her waving;  she's the woman who smiles and waves at everybody.  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of crossing guard action at the corner of Lake & Caroline Streets in Neenah.  It's not an especially busy intersection.  I'd imagine that job could get downright boring day after day.  But this woman (who I lovingly refer to as my favorite crossing guard) has chosen to make the best out of every single day.  Who knows how many people she waves to each day?  Who knows how many people look forward to her wave as they pass by her each morning*.  Who knows how many people have a bit brighter day because my favorite crossing guard took the time to see them as they passed by her each day.

I tell you what;  I love her spirit.  I love that she takes the time to smile and wave at me each day.  I don't know her, but I am so fond of her.  She completely makes my day.  

Such a small thing done with great love.  

XO,

Vicki


*Full disclosure:  I always put my tea in the cup holder before I see her so I can wave back to her.  



2 comments:

  1. aww that is sweet. it really is about the small things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile. When we first moved into the neighborhood, my parents stayed 1 weekend. My dad decided to walk to the gas station early one morning to get milk. When he returned, he said, "I don't know which arm is more sore - the one carrying the milk or the one that I had to raise 300 times to wave back at all of your neighbors."

    To this day, he continues to comment on the neighborhood. Just the other day, he was with us on a return trip from getting ice cream. He announced in the car, "everyone put yoru ice cream down. It's time to get ready to wave."

    Thanks for the happy reminder!

    ReplyDelete