1. The kids have a snow day today.
2. Technically, it's a "cold day."
3. It's their third "cold day" this year.
4. I seriously don't remember ever having a "cold day."
5. When I was young, I had to walk to school.
6. Both ways.
7. Neither way was uphill.
8. But it was still a long walk.
9. Especially when it was cold.
10. When I was little, we didn't have Northface.
11. Or Underarmour.
12. Or Uggs.
13. We did have red rubber galoshes that we wore over our regular shoes.
13. They were not warm at all.
14. They did keep my regular shoes dry.
15. Unless I stepped into a snowbank that was more than 8 inches deep.
16. All the snow drifts of my youth were more than 8 inches deep.
17. When I was little, I wore mittens that were handmade.
18. They were connected to each other by a long piece of yarn.
19. They were not especially warm.
20. When I was little I would walk home from school wearing my red rubber galoshes and handmade mittens.
21. Then I would head over to the park and go ice skating.
22. When I got home, my mittens and the bottom of my pants would be caked with snow.
23. Mom would throw my wet clothes into the dryer so they'd be dry for the following morning.
24. Then I would put them back on and walk to school.