PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 10, 2011

On Being Deliberate


Hi Friends!

We are officially 3 days into Summer 2011 up here in Wisconsin.  So far I've hosted a party for Maddie's friends, coached three, 3-hour swim practices, done a library run, and prepped for tonight's end-of-the-school-year party for Jack's friends.  It's been kind of a crazy first three days.  : )

I always start each summer with lofty goals about what I want to do with the kids.  But what ends up happening is the weeks speed by and before I know it, it's time to buy new school supplies.  I don't want that to happen this summer.  I want to look back on Summer 2011 and think, "that was the best summer, ever!"  I want the kids to be able to write fun essays in September about what they did over the summer.  I already know this year's essays will be full of boating adventures.  We've been out twice already and we've had a blast tubing and checking out new lakes.  If it were up to me, we'd be out in the lake every day;  we'd live in our swimsuits and the kids skin would permanently smell like suntan lotion. Too bad John has to actually work for a living. It would be so nice to be able to take the boat out during the week.

During the week it's up to me to help the kids make the most out of each day.  So this year, I plan on being deliberate about that.  Starting Monday, we're going to follow the chart above (found here).  All three kids are on-board, and I'm committed to keeping up with this all summer.  I want the kids to take ownership in this adventure, so  I'm thinking about assigning the Friday "somewhere fun today" activities to the kids.  I'm going to have them rotate weeks where they are in charge of coming up with the adventure and whatever they pick, we're all going to do.   Won't that be awesome?!?  I can't wait to see what they come up with.  Is it weird that I'm kind of geeky-excited about this? 

Stay tuned--every now and then I'll blog about how we're doing with our schedule.

Yay for Summer 2011!!

What are you doing this summer?

XO,

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment