PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 27, 2014

What I Read {February 2014}

Hi Friends!

I'm not sure where this month went, but I must have been busy, because I only read four books, which is pretty light for me.  Here's what I read in February: 

Istanbul Passage, Joseph Kanon (3 stars).  Post WWII Cold War espionage.  This is the kind of book where it's hard to tell who is a "good guy" and who is a "bad guy."  Nothing is as it seems.
The House Girl, Tara Conklin (3 stars).  I wanted to love this book, and I did, in parts.  I loved everything about Josephine, the 17-year-old runaway slave and nothing about Lina's modern day plight.  I wish the whole book was about Josephine.  
Longbourn, Jo Baker (3 1/2 stars).  I really enjoyed this take on Pride and Prejudice from the servant's point of view.  All your favorite characters and plot points from Pride and Prejudice are there, but only in relation to how they affected the servants.
Wave, Sonali Deraniyagala (3 1/2 stars).  A memoir of the author's experience surviving the 2004 tsunami in  Sri Lanka.  This book is extremely well-written, raw, and compelling.

Did you read anything amazing this month?  Leave me a recommendation in the comments!

XO,
Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment