PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, December 16, 2011

Random Memory//Feeding the Birds


Hi Friends--

For my 40th birthday, my sister took me to Paris.  For real.  We packed a lifetime of memories into that trip:  we ate crepes by the Eiffle Tower, shopped on the Champs Elysees, admired the Mona Lisa, walked the halls of Versailles, and watched naked ladies dance in Moulin Rouge.  We got lost, fell for a classic tourist scam, mastered the Metro, startled natives with our boisterous American laughter, and completely fell in love with the beauty of the City of Lights.  Of all the things we did, though, my very favorite memories of Paris are of sitting in Les Tuileries watching the natives and other tourists.  Our hotel was close to the Louvre and Les Tuileries and every day Christy and I managed to sneak in at least an hour sitting by the fountains.  It was so lovely.




I was glancing at some photos this morning, and this one immediately reminded me a picture Christy took of a woman feeding birds in Paris:

We thought it was simply amazing that she was feeding the birds by hand.  So amazing, in fact, that I immediately ran off to find some bread so I could feed the birds, too.  Look how happy I am feeding the birds!  Look at me just throwing the birds some yummy bread!  Here birdies!  Have some fresh-baked bread!

Wow!  Would you look at that! One landed right on my knee!  Look at me!  I must be the bird whisperer!  My!  What big claws you have!

Oh, goodness!  Two birds are in my lap!  Well, isn't this something!  You know what?  You little birds are heavier than you look.  And your little talons are kind of sharp.  And your red eyes are a little freaky up close.   Um...Christy? I think I might need some help here.
Hey! Let go of my bag of bread you little buggers! Seriously, Christy?!?  Stop taking pictures and come rescue me!
Needless-to-say, I'm still having nightmares about the birds.  And you better believe I no longer eat bread outside.  Ever.    : )

XO,

Vicki

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard the saying "I am as happy as a bird with a french fry?"
    My parents live on the North Shore (Duluth, MN) and my mom got a FABULOUS picture of a seagull with a gi-whoppin french fry in it's beak and blew the pic up next to a canvas with that saying!!! :-)
    This post is soooo to die for - I probably would have passed out with "The Birds" (hello alfred hitchcock) landing all over me!!! OHHHHH HEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!
    :-) xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and it always freaks me out. Hope this memory doesn't end up being the one you find the most often. Looks like an amazing trip. Hope to replicate your journey one day.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete