PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, February 17, 2012

Books, Books, Books & Book Club

Hi Friends!
So far 2012 has been a banner year for reading;  I have already read so many *awesome* books!  Here's a few of my favorites so far:
Heft, by Liz Moore.  Hands down, two of the most memorable and believable characters I've met in a good, long time.  I was sad to see this one end.  I'm not sure how Liz Moore got inside the mind of a 500 lb man and a 17-year-old baseball player, but she did.  An awesome read.


The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern.  Magical.  This book is simply magical.  Erin Morgenstern makes the sights, sounds, and smells of a travelling circus jump right off the page.  Amazing story.  Amazing descriptive language.  And more than a bit of magic.

The Buddha in the Attic, Julie Otsuka.  Historical fiction, written almost lyrically.  Beautiful.

Maud Martha, Gwendolyn Brooks.  I am a huge fan of Ms. Brooks' poetry, so I was delighted to stumble across this, her only work of fiction.  There is an art to saying a whole big bunch in just a few words.  Ms. Brooks is a master at doing just that.  Fantastic book.

*********


Last Sunday the girls and I hosted our first Mother/Daughter Book Club gathering.  In true Vicki fashion, I remembered to take pictures before the event and then just left my camera sitting on the counter through the whole evening.  I have a feeling we have stumbled on something good with this group.  Want to read along with us?  We're reading "The Buddha in the Attic" (above) and "If I Stay," by Gayle Forman.  The adults will lead the discussion on "Buddha" and the teens will lead the discussion on "If I Stay".  Can't wait!

Read anything good lately?  I'd love to hear your recommendations in the comments!

Have a wonderful day!

XO,

Vicki


2 comments:

  1. How wonderful!!!!!! Love your book choices :)
    Have a great weekend!
    xo,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to check some of these books out! My mother-in-law wrote a book, and I've spent the last couple of weeks helping her edit it. It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete