PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 2, 2012

Shine Project #1//J.A.D.




Hi Friends!
Yesterday the kids and I celebrated J.A.D. with John.  J.A.D. <<John Appreciation Day>> is something I started way back in college, when John and I first started dating.  Every now and then, I'd just declare it "John Appreciation Day," and spend the day letting him know just how great he is and how much I appreciated his awesomeness.  It's been a good long while since I've done a J.A.D., and I figured it was high-time I send some appreciation his way. 
The kids and I got busy planning a special day for John.  Maddie and I waited until John went to bed Saturday night and then went out and chalked the driveway with all kinds of "You're Awesome," and "We Appreciate You" messages.  I also made a big poster and hung it at the bottom of the stairs so he would see it first thing when he woke up.
John was pretty darn excited when he discovered it was J.A.D.  The kids were so cute, and wished him a "Happy J.A.D.", or "D.A.D" all day.  We told him he could pick all the day's activities, and we would all do them with him.  I made Mexican burritoes for breakfast, and then we headed to church.  After church, John said he wanted to go out on the boat (hurrah!).  We loaded up and headed out.
The lake was surprisingly calm and not crowded at all.  I'd like to say that I arranged that for J.A.D., but I think it had more to do with the fact that the water was pretty green from the blue/green algae. : )
 We tubed, hung out, and played.  Just the 5 of us.  It was awesome.
Then we headed home and I made John a special dinner, complete with his favorite caramel brownies:
I stocked the fridge with some of his favorite Fat Tire beer, picked up some porkchops for grilling, and made Grammy apples and steamed some green beans.  We enjoyed a nice, leisurly dinner together.  After dinner, John read all the cards we made for him.  Each of us wrote about what we appreciated about him.  I think he liked them.

I'm lucky that John is a low-maintenance kind of guy.  He doesn't need big gifts or extravagant trips, but every now and then, he likes to be reminded that we appreciate him.  He works hard so that we can have a good life.  And we definitely have a good life!

So, better late than never, I'm counting yesterday's J.A.D. as Shine Project #1:  something nice for a family member.  You can read more about The Shine Project here.

Here's to appreciating the ones we love!

XO,

Vicki

2 comments:

  1. YOU are such an awesome wife. What a beautiful thing to do for your husband!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That caramel brownie is killing me! Looks sooooo goood.

    ReplyDelete